[ale] Old Laptop

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat Jun 28 14:56:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:01:07PM -0700 coggiale at cogginsnet.com <coggiale at cogginsnet.com> wrote:
> I did try this with Redhat 8.0 but it stopped saying that I did
> not have enough memory.  What stinks is that I can either ONLY
> have the CDDrive in or ONLY the FDD and the CDDrive will not
> boot.  I have to install dos then use loadlin.  But its cool!
>
> Thank you all for all your suggestions.  I think I am going to
> try out Slackware.  I have never used it before but I have
> always wanted to.  This will be a great opportunity.  Thanks
> again!

I'm late on this thread, but I'm running FreeBSD 4.5 on a 486-75
with 24MB of mem and several slices adding up to about 500MB, and
I have probably 150MB of disk space left over.

That's not including ports or /usr/{ports,src}, but it runs a
modest X (blackbox) at about 640x480 at 16bpp.  (It has 1mb of
video memory.)  So, probably any of the BSDs are within range of
your hardware too, I'd guess.

I've loaded a slightly older Slackware (3.6?) on a 4mb pc with
200mb of disk before.  Yes, it's slow, but it works.  A newer
slack with lowmem.i should work, but you'll need some help
installing it in the first place.

Sounds like you've already found a solution, so I guess this is
just FYI or something.  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net