[ale] Mobo suggestions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jun 27 11:37:04 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 07:56, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Now here is the question:  Are you willing to state publicly what it cost?;-)
> Dow

$2000 with the one CPU. The second is an additional $325. The RAM is in
4 512M sticks. They were out of the 1G ECC. That shaved >$150 off the
final.

There are several sticking points with the RH preview release. (I can't
get my hands on either a Mandrake or a SUSE for the x86_64)
1. NO JAVA! (see below)
2. NO OPENOFFICE!

I am looking at the source for OpenOffice now to see if it is compilable
with out the JDK stuff. The ia64 JDK pukes when it sees the glibc. %*^@
closed-source headaches!

The prebuilt kernel is not very memory efficient. I'm looking into that
as well. With a 2G pile of ram, and only 1G used, why is _any_ swap
space being used?

Nautilus is still as slow a molasses in winter (what a piece of crap.
Pretty crap. But s  l  o  w  crap)

Apache hauls ass, though! I have only done some prelim looking at
PostgreSQL as I don't have my full setup on line yet, but it is
noticeably faster.

> Well, Monarch got some of my money today. I am now the busy, drooling owner of a dual Opteron 240 system with 2G ram, Adaptec SCSI 160 card, a Western Digital 120G 7200 rpm HD, and a new liteon 54xATAPI CDRW all parked in a black full tower LianLi case.
>
> OK. So it only has the one Opteron CPU in right now. They ran out. I bought the last one. They are a PIA to install, too. It requires a frame support bracket that is attached to the underside of the motherboard. So I'll be pulling the board out next week to install the other CPU when it comes in.
>
> I'm running a preview copy of RH 9 for the opteron cpu. No tweaking yet on the kernel. It runs pretty well. No OpenOffice.org in this so I guess I'll be grabbing it tomorrow since I pretty much live in front of it these days.
>
> Mmmm. 64bit PostgreSQL.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part