[ale] Mobo suggestions

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Fri Jun 27 07:56:35 EDT 2003

Now here is the question:  Are you willing to state publicly what it cost?;-)
Dow

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 05:41:04PM -0400, Danny Cox wrote:
> James,
>
> On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 10:22, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > Suggestions? Recommendations for or against a specific model? Note ** As
> > per SO instructions, I am no longer allowed inside MicroCenter without
> > adult supervision...
>
> 	I like the Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P AMD760 ATA133 RAID DDR (MP).  Monarch
> Computer sells 'em.  It's MP, and has 4 ide slots, for a total of 8
> devices.  Can you say RAID?  It also has built in ethernet.

Well, Monarch got some of my money today. I am now the busy, drooling owner of a dual Opteron 240 system with 2G ram, Adaptec SCSI 160 card, a Western Digital 120G 7200 rpm HD, and a new liteon 54xATAPI CDRW all parked in a black full tower LianLi case.

OK. So it only has the one Opteron CPU in right now. They ran out. I bought the last one. They are a PIA to install, too. It requires a frame support bracket that is attached to the underside of the motherboard. So I'll be pulling the board out next week to install the other CPU when it comes in.

I'm running a preview copy of RH 9 for the opteron cpu. No tweaking yet on the kernel. It runs pretty well. No OpenOffice.org in this so I guess I'll be grabbing it tomorrow since I pretty much live in front of it these days.

Mmmm. 64bit PostgreSQL.

My usual digital signature will be back tomorrow. I'm migrating over the old hard drive as I write this.

James P. Kinney III "not currently doing squat with mobile linux stuff"

http://www.localnetsolutions.com