[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 26 22:08:13 EDT 2003

J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Yeah, I intend to assist my friend with the setup for that exact
> reason...well, honestly, I'll be setting the box up initially the way I
> set my own machines up (ie, locked down as tight as they'll go), and I'll
> be talking to her office's network admin about some protection from the
> firewall since this is internal-only. I just want to make sure she can
> update mysql packages when they come out with new versions, which they
> always do. And add a new users if she needs to.

There's the key.  There is nothing easier then YAST2 for updating.  You
open up YAST2:

1. Select Online Update icon
2. Next window gives some options including Expert, just click Next.
3. You then get a window with all the patches that are available listed.
The ones that are preselected are updates to goods you've already
installed.  The ones in RED are security patches.  Click next and they
are downloaded and installed.

You bloody can't beat that.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...