[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Thu Jun 26 18:46:03 EDT 2003

> I Say Debian and webmin.
>
> you can setup a cron-job to automatically check + install updates.
>
> And if she needs an application, all she has to do is type apt-get
> install mozilla (as an example).
>
> J.M. Taylor wrote:
>
> >I'll be helping her set up the server so I can lock it down,
> but after
> >that it will be hers to manage.

As much as I hate to say this, I would not pick Debian for a non-linux person UNLESS a knowledgeable person sets it up and shows them the ropes.

When I install Linux on others' computers it is usually Mandrake or Red Hat (haven't tried Suse).  Mandrake has lots of cutesy tools that assist in setting it up, partitioning, etc. as does Red Hat.

I have, in recent times, moved most people to Red Hat because it is easier to find books at the local bookstore relating to its' use and the installation/configuration of software geared for it.

As for me and my house, we will use Debian.

Preston