[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 26 15:33:46 EDT 2003

J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Greetings Ale
>
> I'm trying to help out someone who is not an admin set up a linux box to
> run a small, inter-office application that she's going to write.
>
> I'll be helping her set up the server so I can lock it down, but after
> that it will be hers to manage.  So what are your favourite distros for
> total newbies who want a graphical interface to manage users and software
> packages?  I'm interested in ease of use followed closely by not
> flagrantly ignoring basic security as much as possible with an Xwindows
> environment.

I haven't looked at the latest from Red Hat, but I still maintain SuSE
8.2 is by far the easiest to maintain I've seen thus far.  My current
experiences with RH would be 7.3.  What I like about SuSE is you have
this one gui window to do everything.  Unless things have changed, RH
doesn't have that.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...