[ale] interesting difference in rh7.3 and winxp

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Thu Jun 26 13:02:27 EDT 2003

LOL
I was developing a network driver for an embedded product
connected to the company network (big mistake).  I was
enabling the interface before the IP address was assigned
and it would send out a null arp packet (arp who-has
0.0.0.0 tell 0.0.0.0).  Most of the Windows machines would
puke and die thinking they had detected a duplicate IP
address.  The Linux machines would make no notice.  I
believe some old Solaris machines would log the correct
error.  I got a lot of people angry at me for that one
when they tracked it to me.

--
Doug McNash <dmcnash at yahoo.com>