[ale] Diskless client boot problem on IRIX

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Wed Jun 25 23:19:55 EDT 2003

My diskless client server setup isn't working and I can't figure out why.  I am running 6.5.11m on the server.  Now, after having what I thought was a correctly configured setup that would boot the O2s, I am not getting any juice at all.  I may have serious line truncation or wrapping problems in this email.  My first email is currently held for moderator approval since I used a Bcc for the ale address.  This groupwise web email client is messing with the line wrap.  Here is sample output from a script I wrote to grab current settings for one client off of the server files.

Root of client, share, and swap trees is /usr/dkcl
Share tree is named irix65-32 and is located at /usr/dkcl/share/IRIX65-N32

BOOTPTAB
Pentane.kennesaw.edu 1 08:00:69:0c:c6:cc 130.218.225.42 unix

BOOTPARAMS
irix65-32 \ root=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/share/IRIX65-32 \
sbin=Walker.kennesaw.edu: \
swap=Walker.kennesaw.edu:

Pentane.kennesaw.edu \ root=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/client/Pentane \
sbin=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/share/IRIX65-32/sbin \
usr=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/share/IRIX65-32/usr \
var_share=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/share/IRIX65-32/var/share \
swap=Walker.kennesaw.edu:/usr/dkcl/swap/Pentane

HOST ENTRY
130.218.225.42  Pentane.kennesaw.edu Pentane

EXPORTS ENTRY
/usr/dkcl/client/Pentane \
-rw=Pentane.kennesaw.edu,access=Pentane\
.kennesaw.edu,root=Pentane.kennesaw.edu
/usr/dkcl/swap/Pentane \
-rw=Pentane.kennesaw.edu,wsync,access=Pentane\
.kennesaw.edu,root=Pentane.kennesaw.edu

XTAB ENTRY
/usr/dkcl/client/Pentane \
-rw=Pentane.kennesaw.edu,access=Pentane\
.kennesaw.edu,root=Pentane.kennesaw.edu
/usr/dkcl/swap/Pentane \
-rw=Pentane.kennesaw.edu,wsync,access=Pentane\
.kennesaw.edu,root=Pentane.kennesaw.edu

INETD CONFIG
tftp        dgram udp     wait guest /usr/etc/tftpd tftpd -l /usr/dkcl
bootp       dgram udp     wait root  /usr/etc/bootp bootp -d
bootparam/1 dgram rpc/udp wait root  /usr/etc/rpc.bootparamd bootparam -d -i

My error message is:

GET_BOOTP: WHOAMI failed, myaddr=130.218.225.42/0x0
srvaddr=130.218.225.59/0x0 srvport=1127
Get_bootparam failed.
Kernel mount failed, check  server, bootparams, or press reset button!

I can't seem to get more logging than I am getting out of the bootparamd or bootp servers.  I do see the success message of the tftp protocol after a successful logging of the bootp reply.  No messages at all out of rpc.mount or bootparamd.  I do have more info I could post but was hoping this could suffice.  Does anyone know someone that might could help?  I don't have software support anymore for IRIX so can't call SGI, unfortunately.  I have tried posting long ago to the SGI admin newsgroup about this problem but no answers came forth.  Tomorrow I am planning to stick a hub and my laptop between the client and server and run ethereal.  Any advice on what to look for and how to interpret the output?  TIA,
Dow