[ale] Resolved (almost): Reboot wedging problems after disk transplant

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 25 11:41:40 EDT 2003

ALErs -

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, John Mills wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, John Mills wrote:
> > Boots after power loss now show 'filesystem integrity failure' and
> > commonly, lost INODES.
> Reflecting on my problem, it occured to me there was _no_ reason the root
> partition should be 'fsck'ed when it was mounted if my system boot set up
> a ramdisk (rdinit), and indeed when I did my latest kernel upgrade I just
> downloaded the sources, built kernel and modules, and set up a grub.conf
> entry to boot from the HDD and kernel image.

A kernel reconfig and rebuild, a bit of automagic from 'make install',
quite a few bullets in my feet, and I am now booting stably from an
'initrd' image. This indeed fixed my problem.

Except ... I had successfully moved '/tmp' out to '/usr/tmp' and
soft-linked it as '/tmp', _but_ I'm having troubles moving it back. I
think the problem is that I need some[thing|where] for the various sockets
in '/tmp' to go, and I can't seem to achieve this. The symptom is failure
to start X11.

Clues for the clueless (and toeless)?

TIA
 John Mills