[ale] RE: New Apple chip

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Tue Jun 24 10:57:49 EDT 2003

Sean,

> On the down side, although OSX is apparently based on BSD and
> has a terminal program, it is _not_ trivial to become root on
> this operating system and actually change some of the niddling
> aggravations.

Nonsense. You log in as ">console" at the user-selection screen (and get
yourself a fullscreen console from which you are free to login as whatever
user you wish), or su to root in a terminal. What's complicated about
that?

> Also not trivial is Apple's continued insistence on a one-button mouse.

*Sigh*

Look. Before OS X, you'd have not found anyone who hated Apple more than
me, and I used to use this same argument (among many others) against
Apple. But come on. This argument is completely and utterly irrelevant and
pointless now. Buy any of the gazillions of three-button USB mice out
there and plug it in. Voila. Right-click functionality and scroll-wheel
functionality are already there, waiting to be used. I personally carry a
3-button Microsoft Intellimouse optical along with my iBook, and it works
just fine.

> If HP were to offer a scanner with included Linux drivers today,
> I'd buy it tomorrow. Regardless of price. Same goes for a memory
> card reader.

Completely different subject, but I agree wholeheartedly. I've been known
to buy manufacturer-supported Linux stuff because of that very fact, just
to make the collective voice of the Linux user a little louder.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?