[ale] RE: New Apple chip

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jun 24 10:37:30 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 10:09 am, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> When, not if, Linux surpasses Apple in the number of installed
> desktops, manufacturers will begin developing Linux drivers
> for their products and adding them to the boxed package. With
> any luck that point will be reached in the next 24-36 months.

I'd expect it sooner.  Analysts already seem to think that Linux is
shipping more desktops than Apple, so the installation gap is shrinking.
When RH comes out with their enterprise desktop expect to see the gap
shrink quickly.

One problem, as always, is that most Linux desktops aren't counted.  You
can do multiple installs from one disk--and you don't even need to buy the
disk.  Most of the counters use purchases as the measure (so someone who
buys a windows computer, then later buys a Windows upgrade gets counted
twice).  The fact that Linux is seen as shipping more desktops than Apple
tells me that the difference is actually pretty big.

Michael