[ale] Sound in RH9

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 03:09:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:32:44 -0400
Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:

> Try starting esd with the '-as N' where N is a number of seconds.  This
> tells esd to free up the audio device after N seconds.  I suspect that
> you're having collisions between audio drivers.  You can try explicitly
> killing esd and then see if xmms/gaim/panels sound works.  If they do,
> the above option to esd will likely resolve your problems.

First of all, I'm not sure how Gnome starts up so I don't know exactly where and how esd is getting started.  If I kill it (sometimes requiring -9), all the clicks I've made to the locked-up Gnome Panel are suddenly processed, and all these apps and dialogs fly open.  When one of them tries to play a sound, esd is automatically restarted.  It'll play about half a second of sound, then lock up.   After that, any other apps that try to play sounds also lock up until esd is killed.  (XMMS and the Panel actually lock up completely; GAIM handles it better and simply goes silent.)  If I explicitly start esd with '-as N', it makes a weird outer-spacey noise on startup, then behaves as above.

> What I've had to do in the past is to configure various packages to use
> esd.  For example, in xmms, go to options->preferences, and you'll see a
> drop down for 'output plugin.'  One of the options I have is the eSound
> (esd) driver.

I have everything set to use esd.  I've tried it both with and without "enable sound server" checked in the sound configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Krum