[ale] Ximain Desktop 2

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 22 15:59:05 EDT 2003

On Sunday 22 June 2003 01:27 pm, Jeff Rose wrote:
> >Anyone installed this?
>
> Yes and I'm disappointed.  The fonts are nice, very nice.  The icons are
> slick.  But when I fired up the desktop and saw 'My Computer', I was
> sickened.  I don't need to be constantly reminded that i own the
> computer.  So I tried to rename the icon, it wouldn't let me.  I logged
> in as root and tried to rename the icon. It wouldn't let me.  At this
> point I'm very mad.  I thought this was 'My Computer'?  I logged in
> under "KDE" or what was left of it and was able to change the name.  Go
> figure.?   Weird things happen when doing things in KDE that might show
> up in Gnome.  Such as adding icons to the desktop.  They become folders
> in Gnome.  I think they should just leave the desktops seperate.
> 	I was unable to edit the System menu.  This drives me crazy.  One of
> the best things about Linux is its configurability.  They have removed a
> lot of it.  Nautilus is also less configurable.  And as the whole
> desktop seems to be centered around Nautilus, it needs to be very
> flexible.  The menus and such are better laid out but less usable.  I
> hope as Gnome2 matures more configuration options will be added.

There has been a sharp division of philosophies on UI between KDE and Gnome
developers. The Gnome team has moved toward less configurability, saying it
makes the desktop easier to support. Needless to say, the KDE folks disagree
sharply. They say they don't see any difference in supporting a configurable
desktop and I tend to agree with them. I have been on two KDE mailing lists
and the user questions are almost never prompted by different config
settings. People may be asking about how to get the more obscure settings
right. But I just don't see the configurability itself causing a problem. I
would like to think the Gnome folks will see the light soon, but I wouldn't
bet on it.