[ale] Ximain Desktop 2

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 22 13:27:33 EDT 2003

>Anyone installed this?

Yes and I'm disappointed.  The fonts are nice, very nice.  The icons are
slick.  But when I fired up the desktop and saw 'My Computer', I was
sickened.  I don't need to be constantly reminded that i own the
computer.  So I tried to rename the icon, it wouldn't let me.  I logged
in as root and tried to rename the icon. It wouldn't let me.  At this
point I'm very mad.  I thought this was 'My Computer'?  I logged in
under "KDE" or what was left of it and was able to change the name.  Go
figure.?   Weird things happen when doing things in KDE that might show
up in Gnome.  Such as adding icons to the desktop.  They become folders
in Gnome.  I think they should just leave the desktops seperate.
	I was unable to edit the System menu.  This drives me crazy.  One of
the best things about Linux is its configurability.  They have removed a
lot of it.  Nautilus is also less configurable.  And as the whole
desktop seems to be centered around Nautilus, it needs to be very
flexible.  The menus and such are better laid out but less usable.  I
hope as Gnome2 matures more configuration options will be added.
	Also after rebooting, I noticed the driver to my NIC had been deleted.
Not sure why but I had to reinstall it.  Then I went to connect via
neat-control and poof it's gone too.  Luckily connecting via command
line is easy but i think it's dirty pool to delete programs without
replacing them with newer or comparable versions.
	Overall I think Ximian is a slick product geared towards people who
don't configure their desktops.  It is noticably faster than Gnome1.4
It would be better if packaged as part of a distribution.  I installed
it on SuSE a couple years ago and had a comparable experience.  It takes
over your desktop in an intrusive and not very nice way.  And as my
current box was a stock RH7.3 setup with gnome1.4, I doubt I can just
uninstall XD2 and go back to a happier place.  So I'm currently
preparing for a new install.  Think I'll try Mandrake this time.  Don't
you just love having a choice?