[ale] How was the NW meeting last night?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sat Jun 21 18:03:38 EDT 2003

One can save oneself some strife when trying to install Gentoo on
sub-swift hardware by doing a Stage 2 or Stage 3 install instead of the
compile-every-last-stitch Stage 1 install.

Now, where I'm having trouble is that none of my available boxes will
boot to a CD and, although I have an Initio-based SCSI card whose BIOS
will let me boot to a CD, none of the three loose SCSI CD drives I have
- two of which are burners - will boot to a CD-R or CD-RW.  This means
that I have to go through this very tedious procedure of installing some
distro or another from a prefab CD (Caldera eServer 2.3 in this case)
and using that to get the Gentoo CD contents onto a disk drive where I
can actually do something with them.

- Jeff