[ale] backup copy /home/user

Christopher Russell tiger_007 at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 21 10:36:14 EDT 2003

I am trying to copy /home/user from one RH9 machine to another RH9
machine, using a CDR; but the files and directories lose their
permissions. How should this be done properly, please?

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
I used a CDR, and syntax from RH8 Bible by Negus, p471.

mkisofs -o /var/tmp/user.cd /home/user
cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=0,0,0 -data /var/tmp/user.cd

WHAT HAPPENS:
On copying the files and directories into the new /home/user directory,
icons are labeled as user not having necessary permissions. e.g.,
/evolution has changed from 700 to 555, /stuff has changed from 755 to
555, and a .html file has changed from 664 to 555.

WHAT I THINK THE PROBLEM IS:
A CD is an archive media, and so it's something in the way I made the
CD, but what should have been the way to do this please, please?

Thanks in advance,
Chris