[ale] Redux: Reboot wedging problems after disk transplant

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Jun 21 09:08:25 EDT 2003

Alers -
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, John Mills wrote:

> I recently moved my RH-7.3 files to a larger HDD and now I am having
> problems recovering from power outages.

> Boots after power loss now show 'filesystem integrity failure' and
> commonly, lost INODES. (I haven't verified yet whether they are repeat
> offenders.)  This means the system can't go through its automatic fixup
> cycle and eventually complete its reboot. When I need it from out of town,
> this is a _RealPain_(TM)!

Reflecting on my problem, it occured to me there was _no_ reason the root
partition should be 'fsck'ed when it was mounted if my system boot set up
a ramdisk (rdinit), and indeed when I did my latest kernel upgrade I just
downloaded the sources, built kernel and modules, and set up a grub.conf
entry to boot from the HDD and kernel image.

How do I produce a suitable 'rdinit-<verson>.img' to use in my boot? Is
there a 'make' target for this? I have such images from the earlier 'rpm's
of my kernel and they're used to boot the system.

Thanks.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu