[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again... )

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 20 16:35:56 EDT 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>> hmmm, men in black suits won't kick in my door if I acquire these,
>> will they?
>

> I think so. :) Suse seems strict about limiting the .isos to people
> that pay.

I think not, that is, I find no documentation indicating that I'm not
free to make copies of my purchased SuSE cds/dvds and give them away.
As a matter of fact, there is a file on the first dvd named COPYING, and
it is the standard COPYING GNU license stuff you'll find with other
distros.  As most software tells you that if you open the cds you're
bound by there licensing, all it says on the SuSE disks is:

Durch Bruch des Siegels erkennen Sie den abgedruckten Haftungsausschluss an.

For those of you not up on your German it also says this in English:

By breaking the seal you accept the exclusions of warranty.

> Ironically, the FTP install is easier than using CDs.

I would disagree.  As noted, I find the SuSE install (cd) the simplest
by far.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...