[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 20 11:41:34 EDT 2003

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2003 09:51 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

>>>I always found YAST clumsy.  That may have been before YAST2, however.
>>
>>Likely, what version of SuSE had you experienced YAST with?  I know I
>>found it unappealing with 6.4.
>

> I think it was quite a bit before that.

There's no comparison then.

>>>Can you install a package and all it's
>>>dependencies on the command line?
>>
>>I've not found a need to use a command line version of YAST2.  Do you
>>have an aversion to curses?
>

> I do for something small.  If I know I want mod-perl, with apt I say
> "apt-get install mod-perl" and it downloads mod-perl and anything else Io
> need to do mod-perl, like apache, and installs them.  I see no need to get
> into a GUI to select mod-perl and an click my way through dialogue boxen.
> GUIs are for when you don't know exactly what you want.

I suspect you can, but as noted, I've not pursued this extensively.

<snip>

> I sounds like if I were to study the yast2 man page I could probably figure
> out how to skip the GUI for simple tasks.

Again, it's likely you can, but I've not found a need for it and I use
the command line more then most.

>>>My impression is that YAST2 was an admin tool, not just a package
>>>tool, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to SuSE.  Please educate
>>>me.
>>
>>It is both.  After having used Mandrake and Red Hat update/configuration
>>tools, I find YAST2 beats them all.  You go to a single place to
>>adminster your box, and that includes updates and such.
>

> As I recall, you even use YAST2 to install SuSE.  I think that was another
> of my complaints--the first thing you were supposed to do was option 3 on
> the YAST menu.

I'm not sure what option 3 was.  You can do a curses install of SuSE.
Why is it you don't like doing an install via YAST2?

Mandrake still has my favorite installer and Debian the
> worst.

I too found Mandrake to my liking, but SuSE blows it away with it's
initial simplicity.  You can do an install of SuSE extremely fast, or
you can choose by individual packages, it's your choice.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...