[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jun 20 10:31:49 EDT 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 09:51 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Friday 20 June 2003 09:13 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> >>What is it you get with apt that you don't get with YAST2?
> >
> > I always found YAST clumsy.  That may have been before YAST2, however.
>
> Likely, what version of SuSE had you experienced YAST with?  I know I
> found it unappealing with 6.4.

I think it was quite a bit before that.

> > Can you install a package and all it's
> > dependencies on the command line?
>
> I've not found a need to use a command line version of YAST2.  Do you
> have an aversion to curses?

I do for something small.  If I know I want mod-perl, with apt I say
"apt-get install mod-perl" and it downloads mod-perl and anything else Io
need to do mod-perl, like apache, and installs them.  I see no need to get
into a GUI to select mod-perl and an click my way through dialogue boxen.
GUIs are for when you don't know exactly what you want.

> Can you get all the updates via cron?
>
> Yes:
>
> /sbin/yast2 online_update auto.get
> /sbin/yast2 online_update auto.install
>
> I'm sure there are probably more command line possibilities, but I've
> not pursued them myself.

I sounds like if I were to study the yast2 man page I could probably figure
out how to skip the GUI for simple tasks.

> > My impression is that YAST2 was an admin tool, not just a package
> > tool, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to SuSE.  Please educate
> > me.
>
> It is both.  After having used Mandrake and Red Hat update/configuration
> tools, I find YAST2 beats them all.  You go to a single place to
> adminster your box, and that includes updates and such.

As I recall, you even use YAST2 to install SuSE.  I think that was another
of my complaints--the first thing you were supposed to do was option 3 on
the YAST menu.  Mandrake still has my favorite installer and Debian the
worst.

Michael