[ale] OT:VPN experts...

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 18 06:44:40 EDT 2003

Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> writes:

> Zyman, Andy wrote:
> > not an expert on VPN at all. But I'm a "proud owner of " wireless SMC
> > Barracuda, plus I have to use VP ( Nortel ) pretty often. So before i bought
> > this router i did a little bit of reading - from what i understand u can not
> > ( please correct) have multiple vpn connections via one router of this
> > class. I think i read this either on specs or on forums.
>
> Back when I was connecting to a nortel vpn when I was with AT&T, this
> was the case.  Again, I believe it was because the connections must be
> made from different ips.  If you're trying to connect from two
> machines that are natted through the same firewall, you'll both appear
> to be coming from the same ip, causing confusion on the part of the
> vpn server.

I have a Linksys cable router (don't know the model offhand, it's the
one with the 4-port 10/100 switch), and I regularly connect two
different NATted Cisco IPSec clients to a single server. I use the
"transparent tunneling" feature of the Cisco client, which tunnels the
IPSec packets over an TCP/IP channel; it works quite well. Maybe the
Nortel client has such a feature? But the Cisco client also works
reasonably well (a bit less reliable, perhaps) using the "IPSec
passthrough" function of the router, even with "transparent
tunnelling" disabled in the client, and even with both clients
connected at once.

The original poster's problem was slightly different, however: they
want to connect from two different NATted machines to two
different IPSec servers.

-- Joe