[ale] fvwm and Mozilla

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 17 23:17:35 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 21:38, Subba Rao wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> It is about fvwm again.  When I open some applications (particularly Mozilla,
> Netscape, GThumb) my wallpaper and the application do change into some
> psychdelic backgrounds.  Each time the mouse focus moves from the application
> to the desktop or vice versa, the colors get swapped.  I do not have any
> problems apps such as Acrobat or OpenOffice etc.  They are working fine.
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
Yes. It a color space problem. There are not enough colors
assigned/available to the video to have both the background colors and
the colors that Netscape and friends are asking for all at the same
time. So the window with focus gets it's color map.

>  How do I fix these color changes in
> display?

I haven't seen this problem in years since I got a 16 bit graphics card.
So if you are using a "modern" graphics card, the system setup didn't
detect the right stuff and set up for 8 bit graphics. It should be fast,
though :)

I would suggest looking at /etc/X11/XF86config and see if the default
bpp is set to 8. You will need to read _lots_ of docs on what you can
safely change in that file. Back it up first and don't have the default
runlevel set to graphics more (runlevel 5 on most Linux systems) until
you know it works OK. Edit /etc/inittab to set the default runlevel. On
most systems 3 is a fully working , text mode runlevel.