[ale] OT:VPN experts...

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Tue Jun 17 22:47:57 EDT 2003

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have dealt a good bit with tunneling
through a NAT, and more complex arrangements (load balancers, etc).

The deal with VPN's (IPSec) is that the source and destination of the tunnel
MUST be on port 500 (typically), so the router can't pick an ephemeral port
at random for the outside of the NAT of each tunnel.. it HAS to use 500, so
when you have two sessions using that same port, it makes it a little harder
to keep up with.  I guess the newer router has the logic to handle mapping
the destinations of each tunnel back to the destination PC's on your LAN.
Although it obviously isn't doing a very good job.

I'd suggest you check to see if there are any firmware updates for the
routers, and check with the Nortel website - the VPN vendors want you to use
the product (even if your IT staff does not), so they often have
hardware-specific knowledge base articles that can offer some help.  While
they may simply tell you it won't work, at least you'll know to stop trying.
:)

Good luck!

--Matt