[ale] Sound in RH9

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jun 17 05:32:44 EDT 2003

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> I'm having major problems with sound in RH9.  ESD is running, but
> programs can't use it.  XMMS only works with the OSS output module,
> and this prevents any other application from using the sound card.
> If an app attempts to play a sound through ESD, it locks up.  This
> includes XMMS, GAIM, and the Gnome panels.  When the panels lock up,
> even ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't fix things becase Gnome won't restart
> as the current user.  I have to reboot.

Try starting esd with the '-as N' where N is a number of seconds.  This
tells esd to free up the audio device after N seconds.  I suspect that
you're having collisions between audio drivers.  You can try explicitly
killing esd and then see if xmms/gaim/panels sound works.  If they do,
the above option to esd will likely resolve your problems.

What I've had to do in the past is to configure various packages to use
esd.  For example, in xmms, go to options->preferences, and you'll see a
drop down for 'output plugin.'  One of the options I have is the eSound
(esd) driver.

I'm playing a couple of mp3s right now with esd and xmms...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...