[ale] hda I/O error

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jun 12 22:31:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 21:13, John Wells wrote:

> Taking a look at the /var/log/messages afterwards, I see a few:
>
> Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=78339883, sector=23008
> Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03
> (hda), sector 23008
>
> In particular, this happened right around the gdm reset.
>
> Is this the beginning of the end for this harddrive?  It's a little over a
> year old and has been reliable so far...

I haven't double checked the exact error message, but my wife's machine
has a similar error. I put in a new hard drive, migrated data to the new
drive. So the new drive is now hda. But the error _still_ shows up as a
problem with hda. I am suspicious of a flaky IDE controller. It's not
the best mobo on the planet and it has about 3 years of power glitches
running through it.

But start what ever you do with a backup. Soon. :)
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part