[ale] hda I/O error

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jun 12 21:13:26 EDT 2003

I've been having problems with gdm resetting itself lately.  Tonight, I
was lucky enough to be at the machine when it happened.  I dropped down to
a shell I had open on a virtual term to check out messages, but all of a
sudden that shell reset itself as well.

Taking a look at the /var/log/messages afterwards, I see a few:

Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=78339883, sector=23008
Jun 12 20:59:52 margar1taville kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03
(hda), sector 23008

In particular, this happened right around the gdm reset.

Is this the beginning of the end for this harddrive?  It's a little over a
year old and has been reliable so far...

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!
John