[ale] mapping UIDs with NFS

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Jun 12 17:52:19 EDT 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 05:42 pm, trey wrote:
> When I've had situations like this I usually choose one username-uid
> mapping and write a script to rearrange the perms and ownership on the
> other boxes to fit. It's not very elegant, but on a smaller scale (call
> me lazy) it was easier than deploying NIS.
>
> Try some variation on 'find / -user 666 -exec chown 777 {} \;' Stick it
> in a foreach loop and you're golden

Yeah, but unfortunately I don't have any control over the server, and the
clients are appliances.  We want to keep each appliance as similar to each
other as possible.  I'd really like a run-time solution.

I did find this, however:  http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/ugidd.html
Now to track down the source....

Michael