[ale] OT: internet marketing

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Wed Jun 11 14:32:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 12:19, John Wells wrote:
> Are there any books out there on internet marketing that actually deserve
> to be respected (i.e., non-sleazy)?

I don't think so - and any such books will probably be outdated.
For general marketing info - which applys to internet marketing - pick up "The
22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" by Jack Trout and Al Reis). I usually tell
people that if they buy the book and do not LOVE it, I will buy it from them
(the copies that I loan out don't seem to come back either).

For internet marketing, I recommend using software:
1. I have never owned it personally, but several people have told me that good
analysis comes from "WebPosition Gold" (I know Google makes a note *not* to
submit pages with it though). I have verified that it's tips are good.

2. There are also web sites that can tell you what is going on with your code:
Read http://www.sitescreamer.com and use their test form on the lower left.
Use the free trial at http://www.netmechanic.com to check your code.

3. There are forums that debate SEO (search engine optimization). You will
find by looking at them that there is not much to discuss.

4. Out side of that, you may want to study "link marketing." I have a site
that comes up #3 for it in Google and Yahoo for it. Note: I don't like to
sell the service anymore so ignore any implication that I would sell it. I
will be offering free in the near future. The site also reviews the pros and
cons of different marketing techniques in a white paper style format:
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com/marketing

5. The search engine companies want you to believe that there are vertical
markets AND that they are effectively employed and recognized by their
engines. To accept their concept means that you should find sites related to
your site's topic and exchange links.

> I'm interested in actually learning
> techniques and concepts, not learning about the latest snake oil or spam
> methods...

6. When it comes to search engines, what is spam?
I believe it is limited to tricking the search engines to give your page high
ranking for keyword phrases that *do not* reflect the content of the page.
In other words, I believe that "spam" must contain "fraud." However, *all*
marketing efforts can be seen as "spam."

7. I can point to several sites that use different forms of "spam" to achieve
their goals. My favorite example is LinksToYou.com - the ultimate search
engine spam site. Note: I do not use or recommend the use of Linkstoyou.com.

a. They are ranked #9800 in the world even though the site itself does not
come up in the free results Google or Yahoo!
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=www.linkstoyou.com

b. The users of their service are happy and abundant.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/reviews?q=&url=linkstoyou.com

c. Google did not/could not ban all of the pages linking to Linkstoyou.com.
Rumors say that using Linkstoyou will get a site banned, but I have found no
proof of that - instead I have found the opposite to be true.

d. Google BANNED LinkstoYou.com (for proof put "linkstoyou" in the search
field BUT:
Google *accepted payment* from Linkstoyou.com as a sponsored link for the
keyword phrase "links to you"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=links+to+you&btnG=Google+Search
Oops. Looks like extortion -  or at least a skip in integrity, no?

Lesson:
Google takes a stand against spam, but they reach out their hand and profit
from it. Further, they use their position to create the "need" for the
client/victim to pay (extortion). Before you take a stand against search
engine spam, know that web site owners, consumers, and even the search
engines won't stand with you (especially in the absence of a fraud being
perpetrated on the consumer).

> I appreciate any input you can provide.
If you need more info just let me know.

Drew Brown