[ale] OT: Ways to avoid spam

Doug McNash dmcnash at smyrnacable.net
Tue Jun 10 22:21:30 EDT 2003

To get this thread back on track...

If you have caller id and a modem capable of reading the
caller id on you linux box, I have written a program to
automate the hang up on telemarketers trick.  Most are
identifiable by the absence of the ANI info. (Of course, I
got a job inteview call today from some company that shows
UNAVALABLE but with a number, lucky I picked up!) I intend
to extend it to play the "this number has been
disconnected" tones (I could use some help here) and what
ever else I can think of. I had spawned off an xmessage
and the smb equivelent but that was annoying and too slow
so I pitched that idea. It also displays the caller name
and number on my Audiotron upstairs and I have a php page
that will display the call log in your browser.

GPLed and available on request.

--
Doug McNash
dmcnash at yahoo.com