[ale] Monday morning sadistics

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 9 19:48:30 EDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 08:48 am, Jeff Layton wrote:

>    So, after thoroughly making a bloody mess out of my forehead
> banging on the keyboard, I've decided to become sadistic and
> build both KDE and Gnome from source! Does anybody have
> any tips/suggestions/pointers, etc. before I start to flail away?
>    Oh and before anyone asks, I can't upgrade to RH 9 because
> several of my apps won't work under RH 9 (commercial apps)
> and I don't really want to upgrade to RH 8 right now (various
> reasons).

A few tips on compiling KDE from source:

1. you need to have arts and qt installed before you start
2. compile and install kdelibs next
3. compile and install kdebase next
4. the order of the other packages doesn't matter much, except for kdeaddons,
which should be the very last

Things will run faster if you configure with --disable-debug. If you have KDE,
it's also nice to have Koffice for opening "office" type files. I don't know
if you can configure Gnome to use arts for audio or not. But if you can, you
should, because esd is nowhere near as good.