[ale] Monday morning sadistics

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jun 9 10:51:29 EDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 08:48 am, Jeff Layton wrote:
> Good morning,
>
>    I've got a RH 7.3 box that I'd like to upgrade to KDE 3.1.x
> and Gnome 2.2. I spent a chunk of the weekend looking for rpms.
> I found the rpms for KDE 3.1.x (http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/)
> but beat my head against a wall trying to get apt-get through my
> firewall at home (the kde-redhat folks REALLY recommend
> apt-get instead of using the rpms straight).

That's strange.  apt-get just uses http or ftp, so you should have no
problem.

Even if that doesn't work, you could just download the entire archive
(including the release files, not just the rpms), then use localhost as
the server.  You don't even need to run an http or ftp server on
localhost, just use "file:" instead of "http:" in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file.

> I couldn't find too
> much on Gnome, but I'm not really a Gnome user.
>    So, after thoroughly making a bloody mess out of my forehead
> banging on the keyboard, I've decided to become sadistic and
> build both KDE and Gnome from source! Does anybody have
> any tips/suggestions/pointers, etc. before I start to flail away?

I found compiling KDE from scratch pretty easy, though long.  And at the
end I lost the RedHat menus, so I wasn't totally happy.

KDE comes with a lot of separate directories.  "./configure; make; make
install" in each directory did it all.  The tricky part was doing the
directories in the right order, but the error messages were pretty easy to
interpret when I guessed wrong.

I do vaguely recall someone with a script for compiling everything, but I
can't recall it...

Good luck,

Michael