[ale] Spam Assasin + Bayesian Filters

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 5 09:40:34 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:47:23PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> at once to our mail server.  I figured no big deal.  Since <flambait> spam assasin
> is written in perl, it took my mail server down to its knees </flamebait>.  The server
> stopped accepting mail and it took about 10 minutes for it to parse through all
> that mal coming in.  I was amazed at how this caused such a problem so fast.

I experienced this problem once as well, when I turned my computer off
once during a storm.  When I turned it back on the next morning,
fetchmail retrived the 50+ messages waiting for me and piped them all to
spamassassin, which quickly brought my P200 to its knees.  The load
average was over 30, and soon it got to the point where it wouldn't even
forwared connections.  After about an hour, though, it recovered
completely.  I'd like to see a windoze box do that!

The solution to this is to use spamd.  Not only is spamd *much* less
of a resource hog, but you can limit the number of simultaneous
connections it will accept.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9