[ale] Redirecting stderr on current shell

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jun 4 22:43:46 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:00:40PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Hmm. I would bet that the client is using the syslog.conf from the
> mother server. But the client doesn't have a /var/log/messages file to
> write to since it is a local process with only ram disks.

One option is to override openlog, closelog, and syslog in the
process with your own code that does something else.  But, I would
just fire up syslog and stream the messages to a remote location.

If you wanted to write your own syslog() then you could hard code it
to automatically send the syslog messages to a remoet syslog host.  It
is a very simple process.  Read the RFC to make sure you know what
format you need the messages in.  It should be:

<##> Software Starting

Replace the ## with the priority code you generate via the facility
and the level.  The '<' and '>' are requierd do not remove them.  I wrote
a win32 syslog server in Visual C++ and had to do some calculations to
get the level+facility back from the priorty.  But my software did some unique
things with the storage of messages received.  The syslog stuff is extremely
easy to implement.