[ale] Redirecting stderr on current shell

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 4 18:00:40 EDT 2003

Hmm. I would bet that the client is using the syslog.conf from the
mother server. But the client doesn't have a /var/log/messages file to
write to since it is a local process with only ram disks.

You will likely need to look at one of the networked syslogs and some
nfs sharing to be able to keep a syslog from each of the nodes.

Syslog.conf does have the ability to turn on/off errors to the
screen/console. The default is to write to the console if the file
location is not available for what ever reason. It should be possible to
turn the syslog reporting to be error or higher for everything from the
.conf file that is used to start syslog on the nodes. That way, critical
problems will appear but the general noise will not.