[ale] Redirecting stderr on current shell

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Jun 4 10:15:19 EDT 2003

[...]

    John> Anyway, when we get up to a shell on the client, syslog
    John> messages appear to be spitting out to the tty we're on.  How
    John> would you go about redirecting stderr on a shell your
    John> currently using, without killing/restarted.

Well the answer would be use some incantation of `exec 2> foo.err',
but that won't work because the messages are coming from syslog
writing directly to the tty.  You'd need either change syslog.conf so
that it doesn't write the messages in question to the user your logged
in as (probably root) or log in as a different user.  See man
syslog.conf for more details.

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=