[ale] Re: Who's Your Mother...

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Tue Jun 3 12:25:21 EDT 2003

I thought so too about the problem being confined to low end
motherboards but the MSI board I had go south on me was a
K7T MASTER-S server Motherboard which has an Integrated Adaptec U160
SCSI controller.

I know I got a deal on it from compgeeks (paid 39.99 for it), but I know
that this motherboard
 was pretty expensive when it originally came out.

I was using it with a Duron 900 Mhz CPU and I had it running as a file
server for my network
courtesy of Redhat 8.0 and Samba. I had 2 fat32 partitioned 36.4 gig
7200 rpm IBM Scsi drives
that I had shared over the network for storing stuff I had downloaded of
my DSL connection
 on my other computers and a 10 gig IDE drive that I had RH 8.0
installed on.

All I know is that if MSI doesn't replace this Motherboard I most likely
will never own another MSI product.

I got so fed up with them that I went ahead and ordered a really cheapo
amptron M810LMR Motherboard and a advansys 3940UW pci scsi card off ebay
so I could go ahead and get my file server up and running. Other than
the parallel port connector and the onboard sound connector being
damaged during shipping it seems to work fine. I had to install a Sound
Blaster ES1371 sound card for the odd moment where I want to play an MP3
thru this system but had no problems getting the system to work. Redhat
8.0 works well on it.