[ale] ( Hardware ) External drive dream = HD + CDRW

Zyman, Andy zymana at hra.nyc.gov
Mon Jun 2 11:11:33 EDT 2003

Gentlemen,
I just wonder, that are the pros and cons of getting the external firewire
case ( should it be firewire or smth else?) with big & fat HD and to attach
this to Linux laptop via usb 1 ( don't think my old compaq armada m700 has
usb2 ) to enjoy additional 40-120 GB %) of space ( i have built-in 10 Gb,
and it's a little bit tight ;) ).

NOTE: I tied to use USB powered scanner ( well with Win2000 ) and it (
scanner ) refused to work. So the question is how to make sure that this
combo will work without additional power source?

I can see the upcoming question: Why not to get internal 80Gb ? i think it
will be like 3X more expensive and for my small testing needs i don't want
to go crazy.

The original idea is to have HD and CDRW as external ( cost, cost and cost
again ) drives + plus stay below ~$140 ( after rebates hopefully ).

My main concern - how slow/bad this "construction" might be. And how
"happy/unhappy" Linux ( RH8 particularly ) is about using it ?

"Happy/unhappy" := easy, free of bugs, supported by applications such as cd
writer etc.

So if you please share your thoughts/experience on this, that will be just
great.

P.S. Well, just read it over and became more voracious - how about adding to
this combo DVD RW (or how do they call all this myriad of standards now.) ?

Thank You
 Andy