[ale] killing X

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 2 08:35:13 EDT 2003

So instead of loging out, shut down everything in X then hit
the configs). If the keyboard locks up, then X is broken. Get an upgrade
and reinstall X and all it's ancillary parts.

If killing X leaves the keyboard OK, the problem is with the session
manager (Gnome, KDE, etc). Upgrade that mess.

If networking is still working OK, ssh into the box after it locks and
look at what is running. Make sure there are no window manager things
still running. I had a problem where a part of gnome (one of the daemon
things, not enough coffee) was not closing down on log out. It prevented
a new login from working. As there are several things that watch the
keyboard and mouse, one of those may be hung, still camping on the
keyboard but it has nowhere to send it's signals.

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 00:54, Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> I have a question and am not sure what keywords to use for a search, so I'm
> starting with ALE if you folks don¹t mind:
>
> on rare occasions, X dies on my Mandrake box, usually at logout, so that I
> see a black screen with a stuck mouse arrow in the middle.  the console is
> dead (no tty access), so I'm powerless to access the box except remotely,
> like through webmin, where I can restart the computer, but that seems
> drastic, as everything else on the box continues to function properly (i.e.,
> PPoE, atalk, xntp, etc.).  so, how do I kill X and return control of the
> console to me?
>
> -Bob K.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part