[ale] killing X

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jun 2 06:49:16 EDT 2003

Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> I have a question and am not sure what keywords to use for a search, so I'm
> starting with ALE if you folks don¹t mind:
>
> on rare occasions, X dies on my Mandrake box, usually at logout, so that I
> see a black screen with a stuck mouse arrow in the middle.  the console is
> dead (no tty access), so I'm powerless to access the box except remotely,
> like through webmin, where I can restart the computer, but that seems
> drastic, as everything else on the box continues to function properly (i.e.,
> PPoE, atalk, xntp, etc.).  so, how do I kill X and return control of the
> console to me?

If it's locking up the console, you might have a hard time getting it
back.  You can do a 'killall X' and that may or may not bring back
console sanity.  Thing is, if X is brain dead, the  simple kill may not
work and if you have to go to a 'kill -9' then it's even less likely
that you'll get sanity back to the console.

Are you running xdm/gdm/kdm?  If so, that's the process you want to try
to kill.

The real solution is to figure out why this is happening.  Do you get
any logging info in your log files regarding this problem?

Are you running a dual head by chance?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...