[ale] BSD(s) vs Linux

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Mon Jun 2 02:19:36 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 01:51:28PM -0400 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
> >caveats:
> >		+ not as good as OpenBSD in security
> >		+ not as good as NetBSD in networking or in ability to
> >		install on many
> >systems
>
> I'd like to hear more on these issue.  Can you elaborate?

So would I.  I've heard this so many times on the bsd-questions
list, but rarely does anyone really get into the details, or if
they do, there's nothing to substantiate the claim.  Or if there
is something, it is confined to a very restricted kernel duty,
like "the scsi i/o code is much more efficient" (this is just
something off the top of my head, not something I can quote
anyone as saying or believing).  I start thinking we're venturing
into the area of religion on some of these topics.  But I
normally don't chime in on these threads for this reason, but
it's really late and my resistance is weak...  :-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net