[ale] killing X

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Mon Jun 2 00:54:57 EDT 2003

I have a question and am not sure what keywords to use for a search, so I'm
starting with ALE if you folks don¹t mind:

on rare occasions, X dies on my Mandrake box, usually at logout, so that I
see a black screen with a stuck mouse arrow in the middle.  the console is
dead (no tty access), so I'm powerless to access the box except remotely,
like through webmin, where I can restart the computer, but that seems
drastic, as everything else on the box continues to function properly (i.e.,
PPoE, atalk, xntp, etc.).  so, how do I kill X and return control of the
console to me?

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II