OSSRC:Re: [ale] Self destructing DVD's (OT)

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Jul 31 11:50:18 EDT 2003

> I can see where retailers would welcome this.  No more angry customers
> complaining about a title not being in, no more customers using the DVD as
> a frisbee/bookmark/doorstop and scratching it all to hell.  Prehaps storage
> or disposal could be an issue for some, but maybe it won't be as bad as the
> AOL cd's everywhere.

I can see shipping and production problems ("they didn't send us enough of
this movie" / "they sent us too much of this movie"). For most video stores,
storage would be a problem (unless they bought some sort of special filing
cabinet and perhaps put it near the cash register). Logistics would be
tougher (putting security tabs on the DVDs to keep each one from getting
stolen (or having the employee be the one to get it from a cabinet like a bar
tender).

And . . . .(save the best for last)
I believe that some video stores WANT their DVDs to be returned late to
execute the late fee. It would not surprise me if late fees were as much as
20-33% of the revenue of the store. And that is barring the legal/tax tricks
you can do with unpaid fees sitting on the books.

The BlockBusters here charge the full rental fee as the late fee
- even if you are just a day late.

           Why would they give up THAT much cash?

This idea is like trying to sell gyms a system that will only charge members
when they USE the gym. Sometimes companies don't want a "solution."
Further . . . . it seems like most people are still running VHS (which opens
up another set of issues).

Drew

> Preston

Drew Brown