[ale] Self destructing DVD's (OT)

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Wed Jul 30 23:19:46 EDT 2003

This isn't all that new..  Studios have been sending out screeners that self
destructed for about a year now. The ones I've read about are done with a
chemical die which is activated by ("air" or light maybe, can't remeber)
that basicly dyes the disc to the point that it can't be read within hours
or days of exposure.

I'd have to say, I like approaches like this much better than I like
companies playing around with non-standard copy protection schemes that
render current players useless. Remember the Celine Dion / Macintosh
debacle? Her CD's copy protection caused Mac OS to be unable to eject or
read the cd.. forcing you to dig out the paper clip.

FWIW, "DIVIX", which is what I think the Circuit City stuff was called,
worked on an entirely different scheme.. The data itself was still
potentially readable.

-G