[ale] Fresh Gentoo, and I'm lost

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Jul 30 14:02:53 EDT 2003

Ok, getting closer.  The install seems to have gone ok (and had my fingers
worked as expected, would have been completed sooner than it actually was), and
I've got myself a nice little Gentoo system (did you guys know that Gentoo seems
to run considerably faster than some other distros?).  Now I'm trying to install
X (and more importantly Gnome or KDE), and I'm having a little trouble getting
my mind around emerge.  In my /usr/portage directory, I have several entries for
x-11 'stuff' (including x11-base, x11-libs, x11-misc, etc), and I also have
kde-base.  Now, I may already have KDE installed (this is a laptop, and will
just be a little desktop box for me to tinker with), but I can't find it.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction of where to go from here?  This is a
fresh, stage2 install.

--
Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net