[ale] Fresh Gentoo Install won't boot

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Wed Jul 30 12:48:45 EDT 2003

Just did a fresh Gentoo Linux Install (started it yesterday), and (I believe)
followed the instructions line by line.  Got to the end, exited the chroot,
unmounted everything, and rebooted, and no dice.  I get a kernel panic :-(  The
exact message is:

ttyS04 at port 0x4080 (irq = 11) is a 16550A   <-- This is the last 'normal' line
VFS: Cannot open root device "dev/hda3" or 00:00

The root partition (dev/hda3 is reiserfs)

my grub.conf reads:

default 0
timeout 3
spashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Initial Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=dev/hda3

Any ideas?

--
Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net