[ale] [OT] infrared devices clobbering each other?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jul 29 10:07:45 EDT 2003

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Hi guys, sorry for the OT post, but it's kinda sorta related (it's on a
> linux box).  Anyway, I've got an infrared keyboard and an IRman infrared
> receiver.  The IRman is connected to the serial port and the keyboard is
> connected to the PS2 port (obvoiusly).  However, the 2 devices don't
> seem to work together (nicely). Some things work, but some things don't
> and I get strange results sometimes (like pressing play on the remote
> will create a keystroke on the machine).
> Is this a limitation of the infrared reciever?  I mean, is the infrared
> receiver on one of the devices "soaking up" the infrared signal from the
> other device?  Could I install a switch between the devices but still
> leave the infrared "eyes" in close proximity with better result?  Or
> should I hack the 3 pins on the IR eye and just use 1 IR eye with a 3
> pole switch to switch between the devices?
>
> Any IR electronics gurus around?

I'm not, but I'll take a stab at it.  I don't think IR has channels or
anything like that, so the common IR devices are all using the same
transfer method, hence, yes, each device thinks any IR it sees is meant
for it.  If it doesn't understand the request, it's ignored, if it does,
it tries to deal with it.  Probably the reason you can purchase
replacement remotes for audio/video stuff.

This is purely a guess mind you.  Try isolating the
receivers/transmitters such that the only IR they receive is the IR
meant for them?  I know that's not a perfect solution.

I picked up a wireless mouse/keyboard a while back and it works great.
It's radio rather than IR.  Just a thought, in case you've got money to
burn. :(

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...