[ale] Redhat v9, Tomcat v4.1.24, J2sdk v1.4.2 HTTP Status500 No Context configured...

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Tue Jul 29 09:25:24 EDT 2003

>My ignorance of tomcat is going to be quickly exposed
>here, but I'll do my best
>:-D.

OK, FWIW, I may be more ignorant than you...

I had the same problem.  I looked at the
/etc/tomcat4/server.xml and stuffed some .html and .jsp
files in the predefined example context
(/var/tomcat4/webapps/examples or whatever that config
file says).  I struggled with it for a day until I
realized I had to make the files owned or readable by the
tomcat4 group.

I don't have a toplevel context so http://localhost:8080
gives the 500 error but http://localhost:8080/examples
works.