[ale] squid dnsserver config

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Tue Jul 29 09:00:17 EDT 2003

>Are you doing this with squid?  Squid says it must be
>recompiled
>with --disable-internal-dns in order to avoid using its
>built-in
>nameserver.  Is that what you do?

As far as I recall* it's a vanilia squid install so it
should be caching dns entries. So the chain looks like
this

     browser->squid->[dnsmasq,named]->router->ISP->(cloud)

all of which cache dns entries.  I don't have any problems
with this setup except that it takes negative responses
about 15 min to clear if the chain gets broken.

*I set squid and squidGuard up about 5 years ago when I
had dialup.  Like most things on linux, once you get them
running, they stay running and you forget about them.
--
Doug McNash <dmcnash at yahoo.com>