[ale] [OT] infrared devices clobbering each other?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Jul 28 16:51:24 EDT 2003

Hi guys, sorry for the OT post, but it's kinda sorta related (it's on a
linux box).  Anyway, I've got an infrared keyboard and an IRman infrared
receiver.  The IRman is connected to the serial port and the keyboard is
connected to the PS2 port (obvoiusly).  However, the 2 devices don't
seem to work together (nicely). Some things work, but some things don't
and I get strange results sometimes (like pressing play on the remote
will create a keystroke on the machine).

Is this a limitation of the infrared reciever?  I mean, is the infrared
receiver on one of the devices "soaking up" the infrared signal from the
other device?  Could I install a switch between the devices but still
leave the infrared "eyes" in close proximity with better result?  Or
should I hack the 3 pins on the IR eye and just use 1 IR eye with a 3
pole switch to switch between the devices?

Any IR electronics gurus around?

Thanks,
CB