[CHAOS] Re: [ale] Package Management System

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sun Jul 27 19:36:31 EDT 2003

> As an avid Slackware bigot/evangelist I naturally prefer Slack packages due
> to the simplicity. Normally I build everything from source and then build
> my own packages using checkinstall. That being said, I am fully aware that
> this is not going to cut it for most users. Therefore I second the Yast/RPM
> combo. I have toyed with it a bit and found it to be an excellent tool.

I have to say Slack is great for someone who is willing to take a
little more hands on approach to package management.  A number of
times, you might have to personally build some groups of packages
that aren't included in the base install, or you can investigate
a number of other folks who do this for the standard Slackware
releases, such as Dropline Gnome does (www.dropline.com/gnome/).
Either way, upgrading Slackware can be pretty straightforward and
simple.  But it's still hard to find anything simpler than
apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade.  There was only one time in
the history of my using Debian that I ever had dependency issues,
and that was way back when 1.3 upgraded to 2.0.  Had to solve
some things by hand then.  But otherwise it has been rock solid
and easy upgrading between distributions and security updates.

Still, Slackware is pretty simple; it just involves a few more
steps, which can mean more work, but also more control and
customization.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net